Monday, February 21, 2011

A chilly day calls for Fajita Soup!

Today was incredibly beautiful outside! In my opinion, the perfect mix of warm and cold. We took advantage of it since it also was Jacob's kind-of-day-off (on call) and headed to the park in Dallas. The sun was out nice and bright, there were those fluffy cotton-candy-like clouds speckled across the blue sky, and it was still chilly and wet enough for Lydia and I to wear our cute new rain boots. I wore my favorite scarf!
I finally brought my Nikon out to take some good photos. I don't know why.. but I've been holding onto these old photos I took on my camera for almost 2 years now so I haven't been able to use it. Every SD card I have is currently full and I couldn't bare deleting them. If I had a computer or external hard drive to load them onto, I wouldn't be so worried, but I don't.
Jacob talked me into deleting some that weren't needed anymore and so I got some pretty cute photos! Ignore the fingerprints on my lens (if you're someone that could tell).... Lydia got to it.

I can't believe how fast she's grown! I feel like she's grown from a toddler to a girl in only a month. She's so fun and full of adventure. She's been talking in sentences lately saying things like 'Mama I love you', 'You sit with me?', 'I do it!', 'I want it please', 'I go with you bye bye?' 'Just a minute brother!'. It's crazy how fast she's learning new things! I keep looking back at photos of her from when she was an infant. I know I treasured my moments with her, but seeing how fast this is all going by is making me never want to put Grayson down for even a second!... as if maybe it'll keep him younger longer?

This is me trying to take a photo of us while on the teeter totter. It's not easy keeping her on while floating in the air and holding an extremely bulky camera in the other hand! I would have taken a picture of my boys on the other side, but that would have been far too tricky to risk!

I love our new boots! Thanks to Nana and Popsky for our 'Valentines day' gifts :)

Lydia informed me that there were fishies in this little puddle. Then she went ahead and stomped in it as fast as she could haha. crazzzy girl.

I love Gray's little face. He's such a handsome little guy! My friend Christina made him this little hat. I love the way it points at the top of his round little head. It's starting to get too small and I may just have to order another one from her soon! Lydia really liked this bridge. Specially when daddy showed her how to drop sticks and things through the cracks to see them splash into the water below :).

The merry go round wasn't much of a hit. She hates feeling out of control... the same reason she'll never push the button on her little battery operated 4wheeler to make it go, haha. She liked the thrill of it for a moment, but got off as fast as she could!

Daddy showed her how to throw rocks in the creek like we do at Nana and Popsky's house. She could've stayed there all day long. 

And here's my two handsome guys. I truly have an amazing husband. I can't believe I can be so blessed with such an amazing little family! Thank you Lord for the abundant blessing in my life. I deserve none of it, yet you bless me still!

After we froze our little tails outside, we headed to H2O. It's a second hand store kind of like goodwill. I gave Lydia a dollar in her purse and she was SO excited. She picked out a baby rattle shaped like a kitten. I bet Grayson will like it too when he's big enough. I found some cute vintage looking swatches of fabric and a cute little milk glass dish. I'm excited to wash them up and sew something fun with the fabric! Summer is coming soon and I have big plans to make some cute summer dresses for Lydia.

We all took naps when we got back, Jacob had to go off to work, and then Lydia and I watched A Bug's Life. Not too exciting, but I enjoyed snuggling both of my babies at the same time. Once Jacob returned, I made Fajita soup. YUM!

Fajita Soup:

Ingredients: 1lb boneless/skinless chicken, packet of fajita seasoning, 1 green bell pepper sliced, 1 red bell pepper sliced, 1 onion sliced, 1 can each of pinto beans, black beans, whole kernel corn, and fire roasted diced tomatoes, a spoon full of minced garlic

Cut up chicken and brown in a little bit of olive oil and the garlic. Add a packet of fajita seasoning, green and red bell pepper, and onions. Cover and cook on low for 10 min stirring whenever you feel like it. Cook until your peppers get a little soft. Add 2 cans of chicken broth (I used chicken bullion and water), 1 can black beans drained, 1 can corn drained, 1 can pinto beans drained, 1 can fire roasted tomatoes undrained, and bring to a boil on high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about a half hour.
If you have extra rice or jalapeƱos... they're also good to cook in the soup. Top with sour cream, cheese (jack would be good!), hot sauce, avocado, or tortilla chips.

This soup would be great to make with fajita leftovers or even just taco leftovers.
Anyway... it's delicious. Make it, eat it, and love it as much as we did :)

A day well spent! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment